27 September 2006

Nikon To The Rescue!

I have to say that in this current day of corporations screwing consumers, I was recently on the winning end of a touchy situation.

In 2003, I bought a Nikon Coolpix 5700 digital camera. At that time, the model was a year old and had already been on the cover of every photo magazine. With 5.0 megapixels and 8x optical zoom + 4x digital zoom, this was the most complete camera to help me upgrade from a nice Canon film camera I'd been using.In August, the camera suddenly began creating the most convoluted images I'd never before seen. Changing the battery and the memory did not help. This image is an attempted self-portrait in the bathroom mirror.I searched online and accidentally found a Flickr User's Group for this specific camera model. Surprise. Wish someone had told ME. Another user had posted an image that looked similar to my own and this led me to the Nikon Europe website where a voluntary recall / repair program was available --- even for cameras that are out of warranty. Apparently, the CCD made by Sony was defective in a small number of known cases.

Thank you, thank you, thank you to Nikon and all others. I was saved about $260 for that repair.

The camera was returned repaired in one week. Out Effing Standing!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home